Negligence Can Severely Injure Mothers
Mothers spend months of physical sacrifice for their child. However, medical care before, during and after birth is not only about the wellness of the baby; it is also about the wellness of the mother.
At Hensley Cloninger, P.C., our medical malpractice lawyers know that protecting the mother is as important as protecting the infant. Maternal birth injuries can have devastating consequences. When nurses, obstetricians, surgeons and hospital staff fail to monitor and treat the mother, we are here to help you take the next step forward.
Risks To Mothers In Pregnancy, Labor And Beyond
Common injuries and conditions that mothers may face include:
- Muscular tears: Although they are often treatable, doctors should minimize the risk of vaginal tears and anal fissures. Deep or extensive tears may require surgery.
- Preeclampsia: Medical providers need to monitor the mother’s health throughout the pregnancy and delivery to detect and treat hypertension. Without treatment, preeclampsia can also harm the baby.
- Hemorrhaging: Major bleeding can result from several issues, from organ rupture to surgical incisions.
- Uterine rupture or prolapse: If the uterus changes position in the body or breaks, mothers require medical attention. Other pelvic organs may prolapse to varying degrees as well. Serious ruptures or prolapses could cause major bleeding, incontinence or death.
- Anesthesia errors: During labor, anesthesia and epidurals can cause complications, especially if the provider improperly administrates it or uses the wrong dosage. The provider must monitor the mother’s physical reaction to anesthesia.
- Postpartum depression: Mental illness related to childbirth is often intense. Providers should follow up with mothers and take their concerns seriously.
Medical negligence can change lives. We understand how tragic birth trauma can be to families. We inform and guide mothers facing pain and physical limitation as well as partners or parents of mothers who suffered fatal injuries.
Our experience gives us the medical and legal knowledge to hold parties accountable for medical errors – and get the compensation that can enable treatment or recovery for damages. You can trust us to be there for you throughout the process.
Consult With A Compassionate Lawyer
Families expect the birth process to be joyful. When medical negligence not only sours the mood but also places the mother in extreme jeopardy, contact us. For a consultation, call 828-585-6558 to reach our team in North Carolina.