Hit-&-Run Accident Lawyers in Asheville
Get Compensation for a Hit-&-Run Accident
A hit-and-run accident can leave you with a devastating financial mess unless you take the right actions to protect yourself. Our lead attorney at Hensley Cloninger & Greer has over 30 years of experience and focuses our practice exclusively on personal injury recovery. We help you pursue the compensation you deserve even if the hit-and-run driver is never caught.
North Carolina Laws Regarding Fleeing the Scene of an Accident
North Carolina General Statute § 20‑166 imposes a duty on all drivers to stop at an accident in which their vehicle is involved. A driver who leaves the scene may be charged with a crime, in addition to being held civilly liable for injuries and property damage. Unfortunately, law enforcement may never apprehend a hit-and-run driver, and, even if they succeed in making a quick arrest, the motorist is likely to be one of the 8% of North Carolina drivers who are uninsured.
What to Do After Suffering Injuries in a Hit-&-Run Accident
Your quick response to a hit-and-run car accident can make a difference in your health and your legal claim.
You can protect yourself from injuries and help police officers in their search for the fleeing motorist by taking these important steps:
- Do not chase the driver — this may put you and other drivers at risk
- Note the car’s license plate state and number and the vehicle’s make, model, and color
- Call police immediately to report the incident, including the location of the accident, the direction the automobile was traveling, and any identifying information you can provide
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible
- File a claim with your insurance company — for best results, get counsel from a lawyer on this process first
- Consult with our attorneys about your rights
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Your insurance company classifies an unidentified hit-and-run driver as uninsured. This may pave the way for you to access your uninsured motorist policy coverage. This is true for a driver, passenger, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian who was injured by a hit-and-run driver.
How Can Asheville Hit-&-Run Accident Lawyers Help You Recover Compensation?
Experienced hit-and-run accident lawyers in Asheville offer a wide range of services to assist victims in recovering compensation. These services include:
- Thorough investigation: They meticulously examine the circumstances surrounding the accident, striving to identify the responsible driver. This enables them to pursue the at-fault party for compensation.
- Legal guidance: Lawyers provide clients with expert advice on their legal rights and available options. They can assist in filing an uninsured motorist claim or initiating civil action against the liable party.
- Skillful negotiation: Lawyers negotiate settlements with insurance companies on behalf of their clients. Their objective is to secure fair compensation for any injuries sustained due to someone else's negligence.
- Court representation: If required, attorneys represent clients in court proceedings. They skillfully present evidence, question witnesses, make compelling arguments, and respond to inquiries from both parties. Their goal is to achieve favorable outcomes for their clients.
- Paperwork assistance: Lawyers offer valuable assistance in completing the necessary paperwork associated with a hit-and-run claim. This includes accident reports, police statements, hospital bills, and other relevant documents. These records are crucial when seeking compensation from insurers or other responsible parties involved in the hit-and-run accident.
By providing comprehensive support and leveraging their legal expertise, Asheville hit-and-run accident lawyers are dedicated to helping victims recover the compensation they deserve.
Protect Your Rights to Recover Damages
Get the information you need to recover compensation if a driver fled the scene of your accident. We will handle your hit-and-run accident claim on contingency, meaning you will not pay us until we recover money for you.