Asheville Birth Injury Lawyers
Seeking Justice for Parents of Children Suffering Birth Injuries
If doctors, hospitals, nurses, or midwives make a mistake during the birth of a child and the child suffers devastating injuries, we know parents look for — and deserve — answers. At Hensley Cloninger & Greer, P.C. we’ve been helping parents across North Carolina gather and evaluate the important evidence — and offering the necessary compassion and patience — to unravel and understand the complexities of birth injury cases.
What Does a Birth Injury Include?
Although birth injuries are relatively rare, when a medical error occurs or the doctor and hospital delivery team that delivered the child deviate from normal standards of care, they may be responsible for lifelong consequences caused by:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Meconium aspiration syndrome
- Shoulder dystocia
- Spinal cord trauma
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Horner’s syndrome
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Group B Streptococcus infections
- Cranial nerve trauma
Managing attorney John C. Hensley, Jr. has devoted years to protecting the legal rights and interests of children who have suffered a birth injury, and their families. When obstetrical negligence (medical malpractice during birth or in the prenatal period) and birth injuries plague parents and their children, the conditions are often lifelong and debilitating. These injuries, especially when caused by negligence or inattention, often cause rippling effects that can put an excessive and unbearable strain on a family.
What Damages Can Be Claimed in a Birth Injury Lawsuit?
In a birth injury lawsuit, damages that can typically be claimed include various types:
- Medical Expenses: Past and future medical costs incurred as a result of the injury, including treatments, surgeries, therapies, and specialized care.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and the overall impact on the quality of life of the child and family.
- Payback for Lost Earnings: In the event that the parents' loss of income from taking care of the injured child qualifies.
- Rehabilitation Costs: This includes paying for long-term care, therapy, and adaptive equipment.
- Disability or Impairment: Compensation for any lifelong disability or impairment caused by the birth injury.
- Punitive Damages: In certain cases, punitive damages may be awarded to punish extreme negligence or wrongdoing.
Why Is an Experienced Asheville Birth Injury Lawyer So Important?
At Hensley Cloninger & Greer, P.C., our attorneys can review your case and work with our in-house and external experts, including doctors, midwives, nurses, and others who understand the process. Choosing a seasoned birth injury attorney who focuses on cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, and other birth injuries can be the most important decision you make. You deserve an experienced attorney who has a thorough understanding of the complex medical and legal issues involved. Our attorneys work with medical, financial, and other experts to assemble a strong case to prove that your child did not receive the care required, resulting in injuries that could have been avoided if proper protocols had been followed. Further, we compute the past expenses and future costs of your child’s medical treatment, specialized equipment, and attendant care to make sure that when you obtain a recovery you can comfortably take care of your child’s needs.
If You Believe Your Child Suffered a Birth Injury, Contact Us Today
Hensley Cloninger & Greer has successfully resolved numerous birth injury lawsuits in North Carolina and throughout the country.
Because we work on contingency, if we take your case, you pay no legal fees until your case is resolved and you receive compensation. Our office is accessible by bus, and we have ample on-site parking.
Contact a skilled birth injury attorney in Asheville at (828) 383-8414 or via our contact form. We will meet with you for a free, no-obligation initial consultation to evaluate your case and advise you on how to proceed.