Your Fight Is

Our Fight

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  » 
  5. Auto Accident
  6.  » Uninsured/Underinsured Compensation

Learn About Uninsured And Underinsured Compensation In North Carolina

North Carolina laws require drivers to carry a minimum amount of insurance. Alarmingly, about eight percent of drivers in the state are uninsured, in violation of the statutes. Many more lack enough insurance to adequately cover a serious accident. However, you still have options if you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Hensley Cloninger & Greer, P.C., has helped personal injury victims for more than 30 years. Our lawyers think outside the box to obtain fair compensation when handling complicated auto accident claims. Our goal is to recover the damages you deserve regardless of the insurance coverage of the other driver.

Minimum Mandatory Coverage Under North Carolina Laws

The North Carolina minimum mandatory insurance requirements for licensing a vehicle in the state are:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury to one person in a single accident
  • $60,000 for bodily injury to two or more people per accident
  • $25,000 to cover property damage in one incident

Insurance Policies Available To North Carolina Drivers

In addition to the liability coverage required by law, you may consider purchasing other types of auto insurance policies, such as:

  • Collision: Covers damage to your vehicle during an accident
  • Comprehensive: Provides additional coverage to your car for events involving fire, theft, wind, water, flood, animals and vandalism
  • Medical payment: Pays medical and funeral costs
  • Uninsured motorists: Compensates you for injuries or property damage caused by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver who is at fault
  • Underinsured motorists: Compensates you for personal injury damages that exceed an at-fault underinsured driver’s policy limit

Does Your Case Include A Third-Party Lawsuit?

In addition to your insurance coverage, our personal injury lawyers explore whether a third party is also liable for the car accident. Under North Carolina’s dram shop statutes, vendors and social hosts may be liable under certain circumstances for serving alcohol to an intoxicated person who then drove drunk and ran into you. Similarly, a construction company that left road debris may be responsible for the hazardous conditions its crew created.

Learn About Your Options If You Are Hit By An Uninsured, Underinsured Or Hit-And-Run Driver

Find out more about recovering compensation if the negligent driver is not able to pay damages. Call Hensley Cloninger & Greer, P.C. at 828-585-6558 or contact us online to schedule your free initial appointment. Our lawyers handle your motor vehicle accident claim on contingency – meaning you do not pay us until we recover money for you.