Get Compensation For A Hit-And-Run Accident
A hit-and-run accident can leave you with a devastating financial mess unless you take the right actions to protect yourself. Our lead attorney at Hensley Cloninger & Greer, P.C., has over 30 years of experience and focuses our practice exclusively on personal injury recovery. We help you pursue the compensation you deserve even if the hit-and-run driver is never caught.
North Carolina Laws Regarding Fleeing The Scene Of An Accident
North Carolina General Statute § 20‑166 imposes a duty on all drivers to stop at an accident in which their vehicle is involved. A driver who leaves the scene may be charged with a crime, in addition to being held civilly liable for injuries and property damage. Unfortunately, law enforcement may never apprehend a hit-and-run driver, and, even if they succeed in making a quick arrest, the motorist is likely to be one of the 8% of North Carolina drivers who are uninsured.
What To Do After Suffering Injuries In A Hit-And-Run Accident
Your quick response to a hit-and-run car accident can make a difference in your health and your legal claim. You can protect yourself from injuries and help police officers in their search for the fleeing motorist by taking these important steps:
- Do not chase the driver; this may put you and other drivers at risk.
- Note the car’s license plate state and number and the vehicle’s make, model and color.
- Call police immediately to report the incident, including the location of the accident, the direction the automobile was traveling and any identifying information you can provide.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- File a claim with your insurance company; for best results, get counsel from a lawyer on this process first
- Consult with our attorneys about your rights.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Your insurance company classifies an unidentified hit-and-run driver as uninsured. This may pave the way for you to access your uninsured motorist policy coverage. This is true for a driver, passenger, motorcyclist, bicyclist or pedestrian who was injured by a hit-and-run driver.
Protect Your Rights To Recover Damages
Get the information you need to recover compensation if the driver fled the scene of the accident. Call Hensley Cloninger & Greer, P.C., at 828-585-6558 or contact us online to schedule your free initial appointment with our hard-hitting lawyers. We will handle your hit-and-run accident claim on contingency – meaning you will not pay us until we recover money for you.