According to statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 1.5 million motor vehicle accidents cause injuries annually in the United States. In addition, almost four million motor vehicle accidents cause property damage each year. In many cases, the extent of the damage caused is not fully known until some time after the accident has occurred. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, we recommend taking the following steps immediately following the accident:
- Stop your car, set up safety signals such as flares, and then move yourself and, if possible, your car, to the side of the road or to another safe area.
- Contact a local hospital to seek immediate medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor at the time of the accident.
Protect your interests
- Contact the police and file a police report to document the events that occurred.
- If possible, photograph the scene of the accident without interfering with the police officers investigating the scene.
- Obtain contact and insurance information from all involved parties, especially if the police do not arrive to record this information.
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible, because insurance policies often require that you immediately report an accident to the insurance company.
Protect your rights
In order to ensure that your legal rights are fully protected, it is essential that you contact a qualified personal injury attorney. Your attorney can advise you on a range of important legal issues, including how to make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries.
If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact Hensley Cloninger, P.C. for a free consultation. We will help protect your legal rights and ensure that you are compensated for your injuries to the fullest extent of the law.